Skip to Main Content

Student Records

On this page:
What are Student Records?
Transcript Records
Verification of your Enrollment Status
Student Classification
Degree Verification Information
Address Changes
Name Changes

What are Student Records?

Universities routinely collect, store, and maintain many kinds of information about prospective, current, and former students. Boise State University is no exception. For instance, Admissions maintains a file for each student who has applied for admission to the university for a period of two to five years (see Admissions for details). Other files at the Registrar’s Office contain your permanent transcript. Faculty and departments also may maintain files containing advising records, grades sheets, and correspondence.

In general, you have the right to review the documents that constitute your official record. If you wish to do so, please contact the Registrar’s Office, Administration Building, Room 110, (208) 426-4249.

Transcript Records

You may order official transcripts online through myBoiseState. The Registrar’s Office makes every effort to ensure that your transcript records are up-to-date and accurate. If you believe there is an error or an omission on your transcript, please contact the Registrar’s Office, Administration Building, Room 110, (208) 426-4249.

Verification of your Enrollment Status

Your enrollment status is public information, unless you have notified the university that you want it to be treated as confidential (see Confidentiality and Privacy). In responding to inquiries from outside the university, Boise State calculates your enrollment status per Table 2.1. Requests for verification of enrollment status often come from such businesses as employment agencies, insurance companies, and lending agencies.

Schedule Used to Determine Enrollment Status (in Response to Outside Inquiries)
Number of Credits
(currently enrolled)
Enrollment Status
12 or moreFull-Time
9 to 11Three-Quarter-Time
6 to 8Half-Time
5 or fewerLess than Half-Time


If you are receiving benefits under the G.I. Bill, you should contact the Veteran’s Services Office at (208) 426-1505, to determine your enrollment status.
Exceptions for student body officers and student editors are outlined in Idaho State Board of Education Policy III.p.7.a.i-ii.

Student Classification

The university classifies each student according to the definitions provided in the following table.

Student Classification
FreshmanHas earned 0 to 25 credits
SophomoreHas earned 26 to 57 credits. Sophomore is the maximum classification for students in associate or certificate programs.
JuniorHas earned 58 to 89 credits.
SeniorHas earned 90 or more credits or is pursuing a second baccalaureate degree.
GraduateHas earned a baccalaureate degree, has been admitted to the Graduate College, and is pursuing a graduate degree.

Degree Verification

For third parties interested in degree verification for a student who has a US issued social security number, please contact the National Student Clearinghouse at The Clearinghouse will provide updated degree information on behalf of Boise State provided that the requestor certifies that the individual has applied for or received products, services, or employment that depends on verification of degree.

National Clearinghouse Contact Information

Please feel free to contact the Clearinghouse for all your verification needs at their website or email at They can also be contacted by phone at (703) 742-4200, or by mail at National Student Clearinghouse, 13454 Sunrise Valley Drive, Suite 300, Herndon, Virginia, 20171. Faxes can be directed to (703) 742-4239.

Address Changes

Whenever Boise State University policies or procedures call for a university office to send written notification to a student, that obligation is fulfilled when that office mails the notification to the student’s last mailing address on record. Past students may update their address in person, by e-mail to, or by sending in a change-of-address card from the post office to the Registrar’s Office, Administration Building, Room 110, 1910 University Drive, Boise, ID 83725-1365. Currently enrolled students must update address information on myBoiseState on their Student Center. Under personal information section, select Addresses.

Name Changes

You should promptly report a name change. You may do so by completing an Information Update form and returning the form to the Registrar’s Office, Administration Building, Room 110. You must provide evidence showing that your name has officially changed, such as a certified copy of a court order, a marriage certificate, or a dissolution decree reflecting the new name in full.


If you are currently employed by the university (even as a student employee), you must report your name change to the Department of Human Resource Services, Campus School, Room 120, (208) 426-1616 (documentation requirements may differ).