Skip to Main Content
Mobile Menu

University-Wide Course Numbers

On this page:
Special Topics
Foreign Study
Undergraduate Research Experience
Work U
Conference or Workshop
Professional Education
Independent Study

Some course numbers have been made standard throughout the university, indicating a particular type of course. Each standard course number is defined below.

97, 197, 297, 397, and 497 Special Topics (0 to 4 credits). Special topics courses address special or unusual material not covered by the regular course offerings. Special topics courses may be offered no more than three times; after that, the course must be approved by the University Curriculum Committee before it can be offered again. Credits earned in courses numbered 197, 297, 397, or 497 count toward the total credits required for graduation.

239, 439 Foreign Study (number of credits varies). Foreign study credits are granted by academic departments that participate in academic programs abroad (visit Global Learning Opportunities for more information).

283, 479 Undergraduate Research Experience (1 to 3 credits). Provides insight into research or creative work through inquiry, investigation, discovery, and application. There is a possibility of collaborating with graduate students who are performing graduate-level research. All research is supervised by a faculty member.

293, 493 Internship (number of credits varies). Internship credits are earned in supervised fieldwork specifically related to a student’s major. To enroll in courses numbered 293 or 493, a student must have attained a cumulative grade-point average of 2.00 or higher. No more than 12 credits of internship and/or Work U may be applied towards graduation requirements.

493U Work U (3 credits). Designed to provide students with professional experiences, regardless of their major. Students will develop their professional network alongside a mentor at a Treasure Valley employer. Time spent on site with employers and in a weekly class session. The class sessions are designed to unpack what the students are learning on the job, attend interactive workshops, engage with dynamic guest leaders from partner employers, and learn skills that translate directly to a professional setting. No more than 12 credits of Work U and/or internship may be applied towards graduation requirements.

294, 494 Conference or Workshop (0 to 4 credits). Conferences and workshops are short courses conducted by qualified faculty or another expert in a particular field. No more than a total of 9 credits may be used to meet degree requirements or university graduation requirements.

453 Professional Education (number of credits varies). Available at special fee rate (approximately one-third of part-time education fee). Student must be an Idaho public school teacher or professional employee of an Idaho school district. Credit awarded is for professional development only and cannot be applied toward a degree program. (Pass/Fail.)

496 Independent Study (1 to 4 credits). Upper-division students may earn credits in independent study, usually through directed reading or by completing a special project. Students may earn no more than 4 credits in a semester and no more than 6 credits during a single academic year, and no more than a total of 9 credits may be used to meet degree requirements or university graduation requirements. Before enrolling for independent study, a student must obtain the approval of the department chair, acting on the recommendation of the instructor who will be supervising the independent study. An independent study cannot be substituted for a course regularly offered at Boise State, nor can independent study credits be used to improve a grade in a course the student has already taken.

498, 499 Seminar (1 to 4 credits). A seminar is a small class that examines a particular topic. Seminars are typically discussion oriented and are most commonly offered at the junior, senior, or graduate level.